Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Artist and The Spirit




From Friend and Fellow Artist Muriel Haverland...




I believe that art helps raise awareness to both beauty, ugliness, tragedy and triumph in the world, touching each individual differently but moving people through their emotional response. When I watch a film or documentary, hear a poem, look at a picture or sculpture, hear a song, experience a dance, I am moved to take action. Much of my life has been manifested from my spiritual connection to an art form. I actually became an "artist" because I saw a sculpture of an Indian on bended knee bleeding into a pool (water sculpture). I wanted it so badly I could taste it, it was $40K, so I said to myself "I'll learn to do this myself..." Haven't quite gotten there, but I'm in my fourth year of sculpture welding.


Working with metal is an amazing experience. The metal tells you what it wants to be when you add heat to it. You have to listen to the metal and allow, really a metaphor for life, it too tells you what you need to hear, do and be. I remind myself all the time to LISTEN.


Artists bring pleasure, visceral experience, and spiritual meaning to people's lives. They educate, emulate life, and inspire. It is the duty of the artist to create with these concepts in mind and be genuine in all their endeavors.

I knew I liked to create, I just didn't realize how artistic I really was: I wrote a book and I write poetry; I am a motivational speaker; I had a radio show; I draw and paint; I work with wood; I do glass casting; I sculpt with clay and plaster; I am a metal sculptor. I also bake and sew. I don't feel like any medium is outside my range of interest. I started to be a serious artist (claimed it) recently (when I moved into semi-retirement). Up until then, I was just "experimenting." I feel it is my spiritual path. My artistic endeavor's are on my card, Muriel's Spirit Designs. MurielH@q.com

1 comment:

  1. Ah Muriel I knew I could count on you. The first response up to my email blast. Thank you. Everything you said resonated with me as I quite unconsciously put it through the filter of performance. This will be so helpful when I get down to writing that vision statement. Gail

    ReplyDelete

Civil commentary welcome...